The key steps in infidelity counseling are as follows:
- The person who had the affair, needs to be willing to discuss what happened openly, and to be accountable for his or her actions
- There needs to be a willingness to make promises and commitments about the future
- The betrayed person should set the timetable for recovery. Oftentimes, the person who cheated is eager to put the past in the past, but the other person's timetable needs to be honored
- The person who had the affair should examine the personal reasons for straying, and explore what needs to change in the future
- Lastly, both members of the relationship need to take responsibility for building a new foundation
If you want to talk to an infidelity therapist, or have a question about infidelity counseling services, you can schedule an appointment below or contact medirectly at (517)-944-4232.